[Live-devel] Trouble with testMPEG1or2VideoStreamer

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Tue Mar 8 15:34:31 PST 2005

>I'm having a few problems streaming an MPEG2 file that I re-encoded
>using ffmpeg.
>
>- Original file: http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~chandra1/RedsNightmare.mpg
>- ffmpeg command: ffmpeg -i RedsNightmare.mpg -ps 242 -qmax 4 Red-qmax242.mpg
>- Re-encoded file: http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~chandra1/Red-qmax242.mpg

The problem is that your re-encoded file contains syntax errors.  In
particular, every 2048 bytes in the file (i.e., at 0x800, 0x1000, 0x1800,
etc.), the following 4 bytes appear, for no apparent reason:
         00 00 01 E0
This is a MPEG system code that should not be there.

The LIVE.COM MPEG parsing code (correctly) complains about this.  (Media
players are apparently more forgiving.)

The problem appears to be with "ffmpeg".

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>