[Live-devel] Re : TestRelay problem

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Fri Mar 11 08:05:29 PST 2005

>I have just check the testRelay with a multicast address input and this time
>with a unicast address output, and miracle, it works great.
>So, relay multicast --> multicast doesn't work for
>  me but multicast --> unicast does work very well.
>Any clew ?? problem with the network, the pc or the library ?

I suspect that you have a problem with your OS's implementation of
multicast.  (E.g., I have heard of some (especially older) versions of
Linux having flaky multicast implementations.)

Try adding the following statement to "testRelay.cpp", immediately after line
         Groupsock outputGroupsock(*env, outputAddress, outputPort, outputTTL);

outputGroupsock.multicastSendOnly();

This will tell your OS that you don't want to *receive* any packets
(including looped-back packets) sent to "outputAddress".  (This shouldn't
be necessary, because you never actually *read* from that socket, but
perhaps your OS is buggy, and is looping back packets sent to
"outputAddress" to the "inputGroupsock" socket??)

Let me know if that makes a difference.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>