[Live-devel] Windows constant polling.

Chris Kavanagh librestreamkav at hotmail.com
Fri May 13 17:26:28 PDT 2005

Helllo,

I've been trying to get liveMedia working on my windows CE platform.

btw: Kudos to the liveMedia authors and it's portability.

Anyhow, I've noticed a few comments such as in WAVAudioFileSource.cpp,
describing schedulDelayedTask(0,... and it's resulting "apparent polling"
pitfall.
I am also experiencing a similar situation; consequently, streaming a MPEG2
av file puts my cpu usage up to 100%.

I believe the problem is coming from
MultiFramedRTPSink::afterGettingFrame1() scheduling an immediate task,
essentially making the select call in the BasicTaskScheduler fall through,
or "poll" the file descriptors.
The MultiFramedRTPSink object uses an OutPacketBuffer to get a durationTime.
  This is done right before the objects calls it's method
afterGettingFrame1().  I'm finding this value almost always to be 0?

Because of this my select call is never blocking, thus the app is always
doing something.  I timed my ByteStreamFileSource::doGetNextFrame and it
only takes a total of 5ms for ~143KB read.

Am I looking at a dead end here or is it possible I'm overlooking something?

I'm using testOnDemandRTSPServer.exe

Thanks in advance for any help,

Chris