[Live-devel] RTSP multicast

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Wed May 25 10:48:00 PDT 2005

>I can run testOnDemandRTSPServer, it is good.
>
>If I want to make RTSP work in multicast, what do I
>need to do based on this testOnDemandRTSPServer?

You don't.  "testOnDemandRTSPServer" is for unicast streaming only.

To stream via multicast, use the appropriate "test*Streamer" application as
a model.

>In fact, I run the testMPEG2TransportStreamer
>application, there is a built-in RTSP server. I use
>VLC to test RTSP server, it is OK, but when I use
>several VLC to connect with this RTSP server, all of
>them can get the video data proper, the strange thing
>is: when I stop one VLC client, all of others also
>stop.

This is caused by a 'misfeature' (really, a bug) in the LIVE.COM RTSP
client code (which VLC uses).  It responds to *any* incoming RTCP "BYE"
packet by tearing down the RTSP connection.  Instead, it should really be
responding only to RTCP "BYE" packets that come from the server - not from
other multicast clients.

Until this is fixed, I suggest that you shut down VLC by killing it with
the Task Manager (if you're running Windows), or by "kill -9" (if you're
running Unix).  This will stop VLC without also causing it to send out a
multicast RTCP "BYE" packet.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>