[Live-devel] keep-alive in RTSPServer

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Wed May 25 10:52:40 PDT 2005

>I'm testing the new GREAT feature which permits to drop down a RTSP
>connection after n seconds whitout keep-alive in RTSPServer.
>Now keep-alive is every RTSP message that client sends to server,
>but what do you think about using received RTCP packets from client
>as keep-alive?

Yes, that will probably get implemented (as an option) sometime in the future.

The current feature (optional keep-alives based on received RTSP messages)
was something that was implemented to support a customer that is using
Amino settop boxes.  (These are RTSP clients that request raw-UDP (MPEG
Transport) streaming - not RTP - and so don't sent RTCP packets.  However,
they do periodically send RTSP "GET_PARAMETER" messages; these can now be
used as a 'keep-alive'.)

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>