[Live-devel] Passing extra data to the streamer

Rodrigo Dias Arruda Senra rodsenra at gpr.com.br
Wed Nov 16 09:38:14 PST 2005

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 10:55:19 -0800
Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com> wrote:

> At 04:45 AM 11/14/2005, you wrote:
> >I have subclassed MediaSource to allow me to stream MPEG 1 directly
> >from a hardware encoder, however I need to pass user configurable data
> >to this class (such as username, password, bitrate, encoding type
> >etc). This really needs to be passed to realplayer/quicktime from a
> >web page's URL .
> >
> >For example rtsp://my_server:8554/video?bitrate=80000
> >
> >I could modify the code as it currently is to allow URL parsing, but
> >Im hoping there exsits a mechanism to allow me to pass variable data
> >to the source

Section 11.8 of the RTSP spec [1] says something about passing parameters
to a media server. I guess this should be a preferred mechanism to do that,
instead of URL parsing (even though the latter is easier to implement).

Example from RFC-2326 :

C->S: SET_PARAMETER rtsp://example.com/fizzle/foo RTSP/1.0
           CSeq: 421

           barparam: barstuff

[1] http://www.rtsp.org/2004/drafts/draft06/draft-ietf-mmusic-rfc2326bis-06.txt

cheers,