[Live-devel] Does "Live" support RTP/RTCP synchronization of ESs of the same media type?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Nov 20 14:58:51 PST 2005

>I've installed the library, run the unicast MPEG-4 ES streaming test
>programs (openRTSP/testOnDemandRTSPServer) on the same/different
>hosts, and it all worked fine. Now, I was wondering if the Live
>library provided support for (unicast) streaming of multiple, but
>synchronized elementary streams of the SAME media type (all video,
>or all audio). By "synchronized" I mean allowing synchronized
>playout at the receiver (e.g., a separate display window for each
>video stream). I anticipate these streams will be carried in
>separate RTP sessions (multiplexed by port number, like audio and
>video are), and that they will rely on RTCP sender reports for
>synchronization. I emphasize *elementary streams*, as I have mainly
>MPEG-4 and H264 video streams in mind, rather than MPEG-2 streams.
>Can this be done with the library as it is

Yes, provided - of course - that (i) the sources have accurate
presentation times, and (ii) you create "RTCPInstance" objects for
each "RTPSink" (at the sender end) and for each "RTPSource" object
(at the receiver end).

See also <http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#separate-rtp-streams>

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE555.COM)