[Live-devel] RTSP Client trick play modes ...

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Oct 5 00:09:59 PDT 2005

At 12:14 PM 10/4/2005, you wrote:
>Hi Ross
>
>Do you know of any RTSP Linux client implementations that use the Live555
>libraries for all the trick play modes?
>
>I have been successful at getting MPlayer & VLC to work with various
>RTSP servers but these two apps for some reason only seem to support
>PLAY / STOP / PAUSE from the client side and not FAST FWD or REWIND.

This is most likely the fault of the *server*, not the client.  Most
RTSP servers do not support all of these operations.

Instead, I suggest that you run the LIVE555 "testOnDemandRTSPServer"
demo application as your server, streaming a WAV audio file
("test.wav").  It will support seeking, fast forward, and reverse
play (with integral scales).  (Note, though, that this is only true
for WAV audio streaming.  Trick play modes for other media types are
only partially supported.)

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE555.COM)
	<http://www.live555.com/>