[Live-devel] RTSP Client trick play modes ...

vsesto at adelphia.net vsesto at adelphia.net
Wed Oct 5 10:59:01 PDT 2005

---- Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com> wrote:
> At 12:14 PM 10/4/2005, you wrote:
> >Hi Ross
> >
> >Do you know of any RTSP Linux client implementations that use the Live555
> >libraries for all the trick play modes?
> >
> >I have been successful at getting MPlayer & VLC to work with various
> >RTSP servers but these two apps for some reason only seem to support
> >PLAY / STOP / PAUSE from the client side and not FAST FWD or REWIND.
>
> This is most likely the fault of the *server*, not the client.  Most
> RTSP servers do not support all of these operations.

Actually in this case it is not the server because I used a separate client unfortunately running in Windows and those features worked fine. The gotcha here is I need for it to work in Linux.

When I try to use MPlayer or VLC in a Linux environment built with LiveMedia the main issue is there doesn't even seem to be a way to issue a FFWD or REW. That was the crux of my post.

> Instead, I suggest that you run the LIVE555 "testOnDemandRTSPServer"
> demo application as your server, streaming a WAV audio file
> ("test.wav").  It will support seeking, fast forward, and reverse
> play (with integral scales).  (Note, though, that this is only true
> for WAV audio streaming.  Trick play modes for other media types are
> only partially supported.)

When you say other media type are only partially supported does this mean that it will not work with MPEG-2 TS? Would you say the LiveMedia libraries are complete in terms of working with trick play modes from the client side?