[Live-devel] Kasenna support with MediaBase 7.2 ?

Glen Gray glen at lincor.com
Wed Oct 12 12:20:16 PDT 2005

Hey Guys,

This is a resend of an email I'd sent to Ross. I didn't notice the devel
list, apologies again Ross.

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm picking up where a colleague of
mine, Dermot McGahon (dermot at lincor.com), left off earlier in the year
(or was it last last year) with regards to supporting streaming from
Kasenna servers.

Dermot's on a long holiday at the moment and typically, the VOD project
is now our highest priority after being on Hiatus for far too long.

When Dermot was working on this stuff, he provided you with some patches
to support Kasenna's non-standards compliant way of handling RTSP
(RAW/RAW/UDP as opposed to RTP/AVP). He managed to get everything
working with regards our then Kasenna MediaBase 7.0 server with the
exception of fastfoward and rewind. This is what I'm supposed to be
working on.

However, there is, as always with tight deadlines, a fly in the
ointment. I'm currently using the same code against a MediaBase 7.2
server and seeing some major corruption in the playback. I've only
really started looking into this, and this whole area is new to me. So
God help me :)

Output from the code was showing that we where missing lots of sync
bytes. Some further investigation shows that when we get a good sync
byte, we've a read in buffer of approx 16k. When we hit a problem with
the sync bytes, we've an input buffer of exactly 32712 bytes (same
number every time). I've attached some sample output, doesn't really
show anything useful though.

If you've any suggestions on where my issues could lay, I'd be most
appreciative. More than likely that's a "how long is a piece of string"
question :) I'm also concerned that this is a red herring. It all
happens pretty fast, but it might look like the stream is already
showing corruption before I see the Missing Sync Byte warnings.

Kinds Regards,
--
Glen Gray <glen at lincor.com>              Digital Depot, Thomas Street
Senior Software Engineer                            Dublin 8, Ireland