[Live-devel] Kasenna support with MediaBase 7.2 ?

Glen Gray glen at lincor.com
Wed Oct 12 13:08:41 PDT 2005

Just to follow up on my own email, I've made some progress.

In MediaSubsession::initiate, around line 659, where it deals with the
Protocol, there is the following.

    // Check "fProtocolName"
    if (strcmp(fProtocolName, "UDP") == 0) {
      // A UDP-packetized stream (*not* a RTP stream)
      fReadSource = BasicUDPSource::createNew(env(), fRTPSocket);
      fRTPSource = NULL; // Note!

      if (strcmp(fCodecName, "MP2T") == 0) { // MPEG-2 Transport Stream
        fReadSource = MPEG2TransportStreamFramer::createNew(env(),
                             fReadSource);
       // this sets "durationInMicroseconds" correctly,
       // based on the PCR values
      }
    } else {

I belive dermot added the "MP2T" in an effort to resolve some sync
issues. However, all the missing byte issues etc. seem to be coming from
the MediaSubsession class for the stream and so I commented this code
out. It made a huge difference to the playback of the stream. There's
only a fraction of the amount of image corruption in the played stream.
However, there is enough to make it look pretty bad still.

By increasing the VLC debug output I can see that there is lots of
discontinuity errors being reported as follows
[00000249] livedotcom demuxer debug: duration = 0
[00000251] ts demuxer warning: lost synchro
[00000251] ts demuxer debug: skipping 0 bytes of garbage
[00000251] ts demuxer warning: discontinuity received 0x6 instead of 0x5
(pid=4131)
[00000249] livedotcom demuxer debug: duration = 0
[00000251] ts demuxer warning: lost synchro
[00000251] ts demuxer debug: skipping 0 bytes of garbage
[00000251] ts demuxer warning: discontinuity received 0xd instead of 0xc
(pid=4131)

I don't think there's anything wrong with the stream, but then, I can't
confirm this as the Kasenna media player for windows wouldn't even work
for me (kept segfaulting). I've a ticket logged with Kasenna support on
that, hopefully they'll get back to me soon.
--
Glen Gray <glen at lincor.com>              Digital Depot, Thomas Street
Senior Software Engineer                            Dublin 8, Ireland