[Live-devel] Streaming past a firewall.

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Oct 12 12:38:00 PDT 2005

>Hmm. That's interesting. I know that the server is working on the
>LAN - it just can't get past the router. I put in the debug info,
>and find that the actual play request uses the static IP and not the
>machine's local IP and therefore doesn't work. It starts a session,
>sets it up, then stalls because the play command uses the "wrong" IP.

OK, your problem is not that you are streaming past a firewall; it's
that you're streaming past a NAT (Network Address Translation) box.

Please send us the debug output (i.e., RTSP protocol interaction)
when you (i) use "openRTSP" (with the "-t" option) as your client,
and (ii) use QuickTime Player as your client.  I'll see if anything
can be done at the server end to get things working.  (It's possible,
though, that nothing can be done.  In general a RTSP server should
have a proper unique - non NATted - IP address.)

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE555.COM)
	<http://www.live555.com/>