[Live-devel] MPEG 2 and 4

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Oct 18 05:36:57 PDT 2005

>I have a major problem streaming MPEG2 , either from a file source or
>via FFMPEG. It is strange why the stream goes out ok, but quicktime
>can not view the video, even if it is from an MPEG2 file.

Note that QuickTime Player cannot play MPEG-2 (unless you buy a
separate MPEG-2 decoder plugin).

Instead of QuickTime Player, use VLC - it's better.

>The biggest concern I have is, that I have not managed to stream
>MPEG4. Quicktime or VLC just does not want to display the video at
>all.

See <http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html>.  Note that to stream
MPEG-4 video, the input file must be a MPEG-4 **Elementary Stream**
file - *not* a "MPEG-4 format" or ".mp4" file.

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE555.COM)
	<http://www.live555.com/>