[Live-devel] Would you please help me to pack the H.264-encoded video into RTP format?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Oct 25 02:50:27 PDT 2005

>Now could LIVEMEDIA provide us the solution of packing H.264 video
>into RTP packets to the port of a RTP server to be sent and to the
>port of a RTP client to be received?

Yes - however, some new software would need to be added
first.  Specifically, you would need:
1/ A 'framer' filter that breaks up a H.264 video stream into
discrete NALUs, and
2/ A "H264VideoRTPSink" class that streams a sequence of NALUs over
RTP, using the payload format described in RFC3984.  (Note that we
currently have a "H264VideoRTPSource", but not a "H264VideoRTPSink".)

>  If it could, is it ok that one H.264 video picture contains more
> than one slice so as to resist the packet loss?

Yes, probably.

>  However, If I just want to pack H.264 video into RTP packets to a
> file to be saved in local hard-disk, could it be applicable?

Probably not, because - as I stated before - RTP is not a file
format, and there's no one standard way of storing RTP packets in a file.

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE555.COM)
	<http://www.live555.com/>