[Live-devel] Mplayer and RTSP streams (from videolan)

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Mon Sep 19 17:20:08 PDT 2005

Hi All,

	New to the list (and this might be posted to the wrong list but..), so
please bear with my questions.

Currently, I have succeeded in getting VLC to do VoD streams via rtsp. I
have no problems playing RTSP streams using VLC clients.

However, when I try to use mplayer to play RTSP streams, it will not
play them properly. It will play fine for the initial 5-10 seconds (I
presume this is playing from buffer) and after that, it will start to
jerk and complain about the system not being fast enough etc. (I've
tried with --framedrop and --hardframedrop option in mplayer to no
avail)

Both Mplayer and VLC is compiled with live.com 2005.08.26 (latest in
Gentoo portage, I know that the latest is 2005.09.01 IIRC)

When playing the RTSP streams using mplayer, mplayer will complain that

rtsp_session: Not a Real server. Server type is 'VLC Server'.
Not a Realmedia rtsp url. Trying standard rtsp protocol.
Connected to server: 192.168.10.100
This stream is non-cacheable
Stream not seekable!

I read from live.com's page, that mplayer supports (live.com) RTSP
streams.

--
Ow Mun Heng
98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!