[Live-devel] Mplayer and RTSP streams (from videolan)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Mon Sep 19 02:28:03 PDT 2005

>Currently, I have succeeded in getting VLC to do VoD streams via rtsp. I
>have no problems playing RTSP streams using VLC clients.
>
>However, when I try to use mplayer to play RTSP streams, it will not
>play them properly. It will play fine for the initial 5-10 seconds (I
>presume this is playing from buffer) and after that, it will start to
>jerk and complain about the system not being fast enough etc. (I've
>tried with --framedrop and --hardframedrop option in mplayer to no
>avail)

This is a general problem with MPlayer - it is not as good as VLC for
playing RTSP/RTP streams.  I'm not sure why this is; however, the
right place to ask is on a MPlayer mailing list.

In any case, I suggest just using VLC - it seems to be a better player overall.

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE.COM)
	<http://www.live.com/>