[Live-devel] Mplayer and RTSP streams (from videolan)

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Mon Sep 19 17:41:36 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 01:28 -0700, Ross Finlayson wrote:
> >Currently, I have succeeded in getting VLC to do VoD streams via rtsp. I
> >have no problems playing RTSP streams using VLC clients.
> >
> >However, when I try to use mplayer to play RTSP streams, it will not
> >play them properly. It will play fine for the initial 5-10 seconds (I
> >presume this is playing from buffer) and after that, it will start to
> >jerk and complain about the system not being fast enough etc. (I've
> >tried with --framedrop and --hardframedrop option in mplayer to no
> >avail)
>
> This is a general problem with MPlayer - it is not as good as VLC for
> playing RTSP/RTP streams.  I'm not sure why this is; however, the
> right place to ask is on a MPlayer mailing list.

I suspect as much. Will go subscribe to it (again)

> In any case, I suggest just using VLC - it seems to be a better player overall.

The issue I'm having here is that I want to integrate it with freevo and
only Xine and Mplayer are supported in freevo and not VLC.

I'm gonna make an attempt to see if I can get freevo and VLC to play
nice to each other. One of the developers of Freevo has this to say.
(though again, this is really not the business of this list, but who
knows, maybe someone do know) I'm not very sure what the poster meant,
but I'm waiting for a response.

> freevo having _full_ control over the stream and freevo drawing on top
> of the video.

Thanks anyway.

--
Ow Mun Heng