[Live-devel] broadcaster for quicktime

Jay Lyerly jayl at ceintl.com
Fri Sep 23 14:32:32 PDT 2005

Hi,

I'm investigating building video streaming into an application.  The
app itself is a data visualization tool and I'd like to add streaming
for the data window.  An immediate goal is to share the viz window
via iChat.  From what I gather, the 3rd party tool, ichatusbcam will
let me set my video source to any QuickTime Video Source.  With the
live555 library, can I build such a thing?  It looks like the
streaming server itself is relatively straight forward, but I'm a
complete QuickTime neophyte and don't quite understand how this could
become a QuickTime Video Source (like a DV/USB camera, if its even
possible).

I've read through some of the quicktime lists, but the quicktime
streaming stuff seems relatively poorly documented and not well
understood by many folks.  Live555, on the other hand, seems pretty
popular with an active community.  The cross platform nature is also
very appealing.

Any suggestions, pointers or hints greatly appreciated.  I'm mostly
just unclear on how this might fit in as a quicktime source.

Thanks for the info,
jay