[Live-devel] Trick Play Mode Support

vsesto at adelphia.net vsesto at adelphia.net
Thu Sep 29 10:34:09 PDT 2005

Hi Ross

BTW I commend you for being quite responsive to your subscribers.

In a recent inquiry from me you pass me along to a FAQ entitled

Can the RTSP server implementation (e.g., as demonstrated by the "testOnDemandRTSPServer" test program) stream to set-top boxes (STBs)?

At the bottom of the FAQ there is a statement which says ...

"Support for 'trick play' (fast forward and reverse play) on MPEG Transport Stream files has been implemented, but as a custom project - not part of the public "LIVE555 Streaming Media" source code release. However, this customized software (to support 'trick play' on MPEG Transport Stream files) can be relicensed - for a fee - to interested third parties. "

My question now becomes will these 'trick play' features ever become available in the Open Source project? I was just wondering why have all this great work done and not include the essential 'trick play' modes for a more complete RTSP implementation? I know that making money would be a good impetus ... and if that is the motivation how much is the "relicensing - for a fee" cost?

I am in need of these features and would like to know how to implement the trick play features in either MPLayer or VLC using the Live Media libs.

Thanks.

Vin