[Live-devel] Audio Formats Supoort

Scott Hays sdhays.neon.com.tw at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 18:04:48 PDT 2006

On 4/11/06, Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com> wrote:

> >4. Apple Lossless (QTSS not serving audio)
> >5. IMA 4:1 (IMA 4:1 Mono 8.000 kHz)
> >6. MACE 3:1 (MACE 3:1 Mono 8.000 kHz)
> >7. MACE 6:1 (MACE 6:1 Mono 8.000 kHz)
> >8. Qdesign Music 2 (QDesign Music 2 Mono 8.000 kHz)
>
> None of these are supported, because I don't know the payload format
> for them.  As far as I know, these are proprietary and unpublished.

About a month ago, I stumbled onto how QuickTime/Darwin Streaming Server
handles packetization for media which have no standard packet format.  It is
described here:
http://developer.apple.com/quicktime/icefloe/dispatch026.html

There should be enough information there to write support for this format.
I haven't had the time and it looks like we're going to be using MP3 audio
instead of IMA ADPCM for our products, so it's not a high priority for me
right now.

I know that that's how IMA ADPCM is streamed from DSS to QuickTime Player.
I suspect that at least some, if not all of the others, use this packet
format too.

Scott