[Live-devel] A little problem with streaming the mpeg-4

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Apr 21 02:06:38 PDT 2006

>      I noticed that the LIVE rtsp server can only stream the mpeg4
> elementry streem.But I what I need is to stream the video as well
> as  the audio.So I split the video and audio separately from the
> source.And converted them to the .m4v and .mp3 file.
>       Then I stream them in the same MediaSession by two
> counterpart subsession.But when I receive the rtp stream by
> mplayer,I found that the image can not synchronize with the mp3
> stream very well.There is about 1 second gap between the two
> stream.So I captured the rtp packet finding that the two stream
> have  different timestamp.
>       What's the problem?

I don't know (because I don't know what changes/additions you made to
the code), but note that the presentation timestamps generated at the
server end must (for both audio and video) be accurate, and
synchronized to 'wall clock' time (e.g., as returned by "gettimeofday()").

Also, I suggest using VLC <http://www.videolan.org/vlc/> rather than
MPlayer.  MPlayer's audio/video synchronization is notoriously bad.

>      That's my first question.The second one is that the mplayer
> can not end itself normally when it has received the whole video
> packet(as I described previously I transmit the .m4v and .mp3
> stream together).The mplayer just hang itself there like blocked.So
> I can only stop the mplay by press Ctrl+C.

That's a MPlayer-specific problem, and so not one that this mailing
list can best answer.

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE555.COM)
	<http://www.live555.com/>