[Live-devel] Possible to join multicast and extract jpegs?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Aug 8 14:13:51 PDT 2006

>Hi
>
>I want to extract images from a multicasted mpeg2 transport stream
>TS. The TS is raw udp and does not use RTP. I figure the required
>streps are the following:
>
>1. Receive MPEG2-TS and keep a buffer that only keeps the latest
>couple of screens
>2. Extract a key-frame from that buffer and save as jpeg

Well, you've missed two *very* important steps in the middle of 2:
- decode the MPEG-2 frame
- reencode the decoded frame to JPEG

>Regarding step 1, I've looked at the various
>testMPEG*VideoReceiver.cpp programs. They seem to require RTP and
>RTCP streams. Does anyone know of a better place to start?

For receiving the MPEG-2 TS/UDP stream (step 1), you could use our
"BasicUDPSource" class.  But apart from that, there's little that the
existing "LIVE555 Streaming Media" software gives you (because it
doesn't contain any decoding or encoding software).