[Live-devel] Finding out the hostname in GroupsockHelper...

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Aug 14 09:45:15 PDT 2006

>In GroupsockHelper.cpp (ourSourceAddressForMulticast) you start finding
>out our own host IP via sending out a multicast packet with a 5 sec
>timeout. In most cases this will run to a timeout

That's not true at all.  In most cases, the multicast packet will get
received immediately.  If that's not happening for you, then perhaps
you don't have multicast configured properly on your system.

>, while the
>gethostname() or gethostbyname() will always work

That's not true either.  There are several systems (especially
'embedded' systems) for which the gethostname()/gethostbyname()
combination will not work (because they don't have a 'host name').

>  Couldn't it be a better solution to have those before the
>multicast stuff.

Feel free to change this in your copy of the source code, if you wish...