[Live-devel] Subject: Re: "Record" Implementation

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Aug 15 10:31:58 PDT 2006

>We need to make a recording of encoded H.264 Video and (MPEG-2 or PCMU)
>Audio.  What I mean by recording is to capture the audio/video stream to
>disk to be played back (streamed) by the video server at a later time.
>While a recording is in progress we need the ability to stream the live
>session at the same time.  Also, the recording or streaming could be
>initiated in any order (streaming starts first or recording starts first).
>Typically, recording will be run in the background at all times, but that
>isn't always the case.

Probably the simplest way to do this - at least for now - would be to
modify your input source object (that interfaces to your encoder) to
do the recording directly into a file (in addition to delivering the
data to the downstream liveMedia object).  I.e., you wouldn't be
using a liveMedia object chain to do the recording.

The reason for doing things this way is that there's currently no
generic mechanism in the library for duplicating a single input
stream into multiple output streams.