[Live-devel] Develop H.264 Support

Quentin Olson qolson at posappliance.com
Fri Dec 22 07:32:47 PST 2006

I think David is describing what I am looking for. Here is a link to a
20 second clip (CIF, low quantization, 10 FPS). The file is built by
capturing the frames directly from the encoder card.

http://65.40.220.74/downloads/clip.264

There are a number of codec plugins you can use to play this directly in
windows media player, here's one.

http://www.fastvdo.com/H.264.html

-quentin

On Fri, 2006-12-22 at 10:19 +0100, David Betrand wrote:

> Hello,
> My two cents on this :
> Actually this matter is exactly the same as MPEG4 video handling in liveMedia library. There are several containers existing for encapsulation of H264 codec. Most of them are dialects of the mpeg 4 iso based media file format (ISO/IEC 14496-12).
> This means at least :
> ".mp4" extension (ISO MP4, ISMA 2.0)
> ".3gp" extension  (3GPP)
> ".mov" extension (Apple file format)
>
> But of course there are also other -less "recommended" I would say- like ".avi"
>
> Most of the time, when no container is used, raw H264 frames are simply put in a ".h264" file.
>
> So, the nice thing would be to have in liveMedia demultiplexers for 3gp, mp4 and 3gp file formats. An simpler alternative would have to have support for H264 elementary streams contained in ".h264" files.
>
> David.
>
> >I am looking for someone to develop a sample application (possibly
> >>more) for streaming H.264 files. I can supply sample files.
>

> Yes, please post the URL of such a sample file.  (*Don't* send the
> file itself via email.)  I'm curious as to what you mean by a "H264
> file".
> --
>
> Ross Finlayson
> Live Networks, Inc.