[Live-devel] Develop H.264 Support

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Dec 24 00:33:34 PST 2006

>Most of the time, when no container is used, raw H264 frames are
>simply put in a ".h264" file.

The trouble with this approach is that I'm not sure whether 'raw
H.264 frames' - simply concatenated together with nothing separating
them - can be parsed into discrete NAL units.  (This would be
necessary in order to stream the data.)

People sometimes overcome this problem by prepending the byte string
0x00 0x00 0x01 to each NAL unit in the file - allowing the NAL units
to be parsed from the file later.  However, I'm not sure if that's an
official file format that's written up anywhere.

Once again, this is why there's no "testH264VideoStreamer" - because
there just doesn't seem to be an official recognized file format for
"H.264 Video Elementary Stream data".