[Live-devel] What does "bitrate" mean?

David Arnold darnold at futurec.net
Mon Feb 20 14:45:05 PST 2006

This question isn't really specific to LIVE555, so my apologies to the list
for this question, but I can't think of anywhere else to go.  I'm seeing
some strange results with an encoder using LIVE555 and I wanted to be
certain I'm not doing something wrong or misunderstanding what "bitrate"
means.

Q: If I set an H.264 encoder to a bitrate of X, then the output of the
encoder should never be much greater than X, correct?  If I set the H.264
encoder to a bitrate of 128,000 and sample/capture for 10 seconds, then the
file size should be approximately 1,280,000 bytes (taking into account
overhead for headers, etc).

Am I missing something?

Thank you,

Dave Arnold
Future Concepts, La Verne

The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication other than to the person or entity named above is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately delete it from your system.