[Live-devel] What does "bitrate" mean?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Feb 20 14:54:26 PST 2006

>Q: If I set an H.264 encoder to a bitrate of X, then the output of the
>encoder should never be much greater than X, correct?

Well, it depends on the details of your particular encoder.  For some
encoders, the 'bitrate' parameter might be a limit; for others, it
might be an average.  For others, it might be just a suggestion.

As you noted, this isn't really a question that this mailing list can
answer, because we don't know anything about your encoder.

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE555.COM)
	<http://www.live555.com/>