[Live-devel] Question about H.264 streaming

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jan 18 07:41:18 PST 2006

>I'd like to do some experiments with H.264 streaming over RTP... But I
>see that live555 does not allow to stream H.264 (it seems to me that it
>can only receive H.264, right?).

Yes.  There's currently a "H264VideoRTPSource", but not yet a
"H264VideoRTPSink".

>So, I am trying to write some simple code for streaming H.264 video.
>My idea is to use Packetization Mode 0 (Single NAL Unit Mode), just to
>simplify my tests. But this results in RTP packets bigger than 1500
>bytes. Is this valid according to the standards?

Yes, but it's not recommended, because the resulting RTP packet will
often get fragmented over several IP packets, and the receiving OS
may have trouble with this.

Instead, a large NAL Unit should be split into several "FU-A" RTP
packets, as defined in RFC 3984, section 5.8.  (Note, in particular,
the 'start' and 'end' bits in the "FU Header".)  Each resulting
"FU-A" RTP packet should be less than 1500 bytes in length.

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE555.COM)
	<http://www.live555.com/>