[Live-devel] PATCH RTSP KeepAlive Support.

Glen Gray glen at lincor.com
Tue Jan 24 21:15:48 PST 2006

Hey Ross,

On 24 Jan 2006, at 18:47, Ross Finlayson wrote:

> This is looking a bit better.  However, I still don't want to add
> any new 'keep alive' parameter to "RTSPClient::createNew
> ()" (because your 'Kasenna keep alive' mechanism is something that
> takes place outside "RTSPClient".
I suppose this is tied to the last point you raised so I'll comment
there.

> However, what I will do is the following:
> 1/ Because the optional "timeout" field in the "Session:" response
> is actually mentioned in the RTSP standard, I'll add support for
> parsing this (and add a method to "RTSPClient" for querying this
> value).
> 2/ I'll allow "RTSPClient::getMediaSessionParameter()" to take a
> NULL (or empty) "parameterName" value, as you have done.
Great.

> The only remaining issue - as far as I can tell - will be this
> "_KA" user agent bullshit?  Does the Kasenna server really care
> about this??

Well, I guess I'm not clear on which part offends, the fact that keep
alive is enabled by modifying the user agent string or the fact that
the current code seems to ignore the _KA if it's appended to a
string, such the one generated by vlc/livemedia. Either way it's not
great, I will admit. And yes, the Kasenna server really does care
about this. Appending _KA to the user_agent string is the only way to
activate this functionality according to their documentation.

Which leads back to the first point. If the user agent string has to
be modified, then your current implementation creates the user agent
string in the RTSPClient constructor code. So passing a bool to
enable/disable keepalive on the rtspclient object seemed like the
right thing to do. It is optional and defaults to False and so
shouldn't affect anything currently not wishing to use this feature.

--
Glen Gray <glen at lincor.com>              Digital Depot, Thomas Street
Senior Software Engineer                            Dublin 8, Ireland