[Live-devel] nice -1 required on server side

tjc103 at ecs.soton.ac.uk tjc103 at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jul 13 01:08:58 PDT 2006

Hi,

I've been looking at the live555 libraries for a research project at uni and
have managed to get all the test programs working that come with the
library.

At the moment I send with testMPEG2TransportStreamer (compiled with
IMPLEMENT_RTSP_SERVER defined and I only use unicast) and on my other box I
receive with openRTSP, which writes to a file.

Playing back this file however with VLC shows several glitches. These can be
overcome though if I execute testMPEG2TransportStreamer like this :

    $ nice -1 ./testMPEG2TransportStreamer

This gives fault less playback on a 96 second clip looping all night. I was
just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Is this normal, or is
there anyway of overcoming it?

I've also tried streaming a TS with VLC, however by default it seems to
demux the video stream when executed like this:

    $ vlc -vvv some.ts --sout
'#rtp{dst=192.168.0.254,port=1234,sdp=rtsp://192.168.0.1:8080/test.sdp}'

Adding ,mux=ts before the closing braket causes openRTSP to not find the
stream at all. I know this isn't a VLC list, but I'm sure someone here must
of tested a client on VLC at some point. Any idea's what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Theo