[Live-devel] nice -1 required on server side

jiri.pinkava at vscht.cz jiri.pinkava at vscht.cz
Thu Jul 13 02:12:46 PDT 2006

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:08:58 +0100
tjc103 at ecs.soton.ac.uk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been looking at the live555 libraries for a research project at uni and
> have managed to get all the test programs working that come with the
> library.
>
> At the moment I send with testMPEG2TransportStreamer (compiled with
> IMPLEMENT_RTSP_SERVER defined and I only use unicast) and on my other box I
> receive with openRTSP, which writes to a file.

If Your goal is stream only this short clip (or something else from file), look for testMPEG2AudioVideoStreamer (You may use vlc for conversion the clip from TS stream to MPEG2 Program Stream).

> Playing back this file however with VLC shows several glitches. These can be
> overcome though if I execute testMPEG2TransportStreamer like this :
>
>     $ nice -1 ./testMPEG2TransportStreamer
>
> This gives fault less playback on a 96 second clip looping all night. I was
> just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Is this normal, or is
> there anyway of overcoming it?

This is not normal, at first look at the CPU load (is there no other process which take processor time?). I have some problems with TS streaming (for example CPU load and timing), but I use DVB-T card as source. This is probably caused by MPEG2TransportStreamFramer class, You may try change some parameters in this class (in .cpp file at top) but this probably does not fully solve this problem. If You use file as video source, there is no other (simple) way to solve this).

> I've also tried streaming a TS with VLC, however by default it seems to
> demux the video stream when executed like this:
>
>     $ vlc -vvv some.ts --sout
> '#rtp{dst=192.168.0.254,port=1234,sdp=rtsp://192.168.0.1:8080/test.sdp}'
>
> Adding ,mux=ts before the closing braket causes openRTSP to not find the
> stream at all. I know this isn't a VLC list, but I'm sure someone here must
> of tested a client on VLC at some point. Any idea's what I'm doing wrong?

Before long, long time i use VLC to stream MPEG TS. I simply copy an example form videolan.org documentation site.