[Live-devel] RTP to RTCP for Helix

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Jul 21 00:40:13 PDT 2006

>Hello,
>I use the VLC of videolan.org as Encoder for Live streams. These
>streams are then sent as RTP. These Live streams shall be sent to a
>helix server. Unfortunately, the VLC cannot make any RTCP packages.

That's because VLC - when used as a RTP *transmitter* - uses a
quick-and-dirty, custom implementation of RTP (*not* the "LIVE555
Streaming Media" code) that does not include RTCP.  (VLC uses the
LIVE555 code only when it is used as a receiver/player.)

>These are needed by the helix server.
>The Helixcommuntity wrote me:
>"You could write a program that receives and relays VLC's RTP
>packets to the server and generates appropriate RTCP packets and
>sends those, too. "
>Is this possible with live libraries?

Perhaps.  But it would be much better (and probably simpler) to use
our own RTSP/RTP server implementation, with FFMPEG (e.g.) used as an
encoder.