[Live-devel] Extraneous object links on Linux

Scott Hays sdhays.neon.com.tw at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 19:10:26 PDT 2006

I've just discovered that the size of the test programs on Linux is much
larger than the size of the same test programs compiled on Windows.  For
example, my Windows compiled version of testMPEG4VideoStreamer is
Furthermore, the source of the size difference seems to be that the Linux
(GNU) linker is pulling a lot of useless object files from the Live555
libraries.  For example, doing `nm -C testMPEG4VideoStreamer | grep MP3`
results in a screenfull of symbols for MP3ADURTPSink, MP3FileSource, etc.

Has anyone else noticed this, and, if so, how did you work around it?  I'm
developing for embedded systems and this is adding over 200K to the size of
my program (very valuable space).  Someone who's helping me reduced the size
of the program by manually commenting out large portions of the Makefiles
and then recompiling the libraries, but since I try to keep up-to-date with
the Live555 libraries during my development, this seems tedious and
error-prone.

Scott