[Live-devel] Extraneous object links on Linux

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jun 7 23:11:45 PDT 2006

At 07:10 PM 6/7/2006, you wrote:
>I've just discovered that the size of the test programs on Linux is
>much larger than the size of the same test programs compiled on
>Windows.  For example, my Windows compiled version of
>testMPEG4VideoStreamer is  Furthermore, the source of the size
>difference seems to be that the Linux (GNU) linker is pulling a lot
>of useless object files from the Live555 libraries.  For example,
>doing `nm -C testMPEG4VideoStreamer | grep MP3` results in a
>screenfull of symbols for MP3ADURTPSink, MP3FileSource, etc.
>
>Has anyone else noticed this, and, if so, how did you work around it?

As you've noted, this is an issue with the GNU linker.  Perhaps newer
versions of the linker do a better job; are you using an up-to-date
version?  Alternatively, perhaps there's some flag you can give the
linker...  (I dunno - I'm not an expert on the GNU toolset.)

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE555.COM)
	<http://www.live555.com/>