[Live-devel] Groupsock handling in OnDemandServerMediaSubsession.cpp

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Jun 19 07:46:20 PDT 2006

>So, as I really need to have the possibility to use free
>ports only and I see there is no big interest for this for the
>existing library

Now I'm confused.  I thought you had identified an issue (in the code
in "OnDemandServerMediaSubsession.cpp" where we check that a
newly-created 'groupsock' - with no explicitly-specified port number
- ends up getting an even-numbered port) that might affect *every*
user of the library (if they're running a unicast RTSP/RTP
server).  If that's the case, then we can't make the use of the
SO_REUSE_* flags a compile-time option (because, in general, for
other uses of 'groupsock's, we want the SO_REUSE_* flags set).

If, however, this is something that - for whatever reason - affects
your particular application only, then I'm not going to make a change
to the released code just for this.

So the real question is: Is there, or is there not, a real problem
with the way that the code in "OnDemandServerMediaSubsession.cpp"
currently works.  If there is (although I, personally, have never
seen the current code fail), then perhaps the best solution would be
to have a special new Groupsock constructor just for this case: I.e.,
for creating one that ends up using an arbitrary, but even-numbered
port.  This special new constructor could then omit setting the
SO_REUSE_* flags, if that's necessary to make it work (although I'm
not convinced of that either).

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE555.COM)
	<http://www.live555.com/>