[Live-devel] ffmpeg and live.com

Torsten Spindler spindler at arch.ethz.ch
Wed Jun 21 14:45:33 PDT 2006

Hello,

I use MLT (http://mlt.sourceforge.net) to apply some filters on a stream
sent by a Axis-230 MPEG-2 camera. The manipulated stream is then sent
via network further onward. So far I've tried the following:

MLT -> named pipe -> VLC -> multicast -> VLC
MLT -> udp unicast -> VLC -> multicast -> VLC
MLT -> named pipe -> testMPEG1or2VideoStreamer -> multicast -> VLC
MLT -> udp unicast -> testRelay -> multicast -> VLC

As the MLT/ffmpeg stream is quite bursty the resulting stream has either
a high latency (3-4 seconds) or artefacts appear.

Two questions:

1) Is there a patch for ffmpeg so it supports streaming via live.com?
Using MLT/ffmpeg/live in one application should reduce latency.

2) The MLT avformat consumer that stores the video either in a file or
sends it via udp uses av_interleaved_write_frame(oc, &pkt) with oc being
an AVFormatContext and pkt being AVPacket. If 1) is not possible, would
this be the place to hook in and store it for consummation by live.com
DeviceSource?

I'm really no C++ coder, so I'd very much prefer 2) :)

Bye,
Torsten