[Live-devel] ffmpeg and live.com

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jun 21 15:04:17 PDT 2006

>MLT -> named pipe -> VLC -> multicast -> VLC
>MLT -> udp unicast -> VLC -> multicast -> VLC

Note that when VLC is used as a *transmitter* (rather than as a
receiver), it does *not* (currently) use the "LIVE555 Streaming
Media" libraries.

>MLT -> named pipe -> testMPEG1or2VideoStreamer -> multicast -> VLC

This should work OK (provided, of course, that the input to
"testMPEG1or2VideoStreamer" is a MPEG-1 or 2 Video Elementary
Stream).  You may need to tweak your named pipe somehow (don't ask me
how) to give it enough buffering, though.

>MLT -> udp unicast -> testRelay -> multicast -> VLC

The "testRelay" demo application receives a *multicast* stream.  It
will (probably) not work if you try to feed it a unicast stream.

>1) Is there a patch for ffmpeg so it supports streaming via live.com?

Note: We're not "live.com" anymore.

It should not be necessary to 'patch' FFMPEG at all - it already
works just fine, as far as I can tell.  However, if you want to use
it to generate a "FramedSource" subclass for delivering encoded data,
then you will need to write new code (using the "LIVE555 Streaming
Media" libraries) that does this.  Read the FAQ.

>I'm really no C++ coder

That's a problem - you 'll need to fix this if you want to use our libraries.

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE555.COM)
	<http://www.live555.com/>