[Live-devel] Fwd: [vlc-devel] Problem in livedotcom.cpp

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Mar 14 13:20:52 PST 2006

>I was browsing trough my archives and stumbled upon this one. Do you
>think that such a patch is a good idea?

I don't know enough about how VLC handles timing internally to be
sure.  But note that the 'presentation time' delivered by the LIVE555
code is *already* derived from the NTP->RTP timestamp mapping
information that's contained in incoming RTCP "SR" packets.  Note
also that the NTP timestamp that's in a RTCP "SR" packet is not
necessarily going to be the server's 'current time', but is instead
just the time (in the server's clock) that corresponds to *one
particular* RTP timestamp value (not necessarily one that is close to
the 'current time').  For this reason alone, I'd be wary of trying to
do anything with this NTP timestamp - Luca may be assuming that it
represents something that it doesn't.

However, I guess I just don't understand what this 'reference clock'
in VLC is supposed to be, and how it relates to 'presentation
time'.  But I do know that (once RTCP packets have been received)
that the 'presentation time' is going to be accurate (and
synchronized, when there are both audio and video streams).  So VLC
should continue to use the 'presentation time' as much as possible -
it already represents the 'server's clock'.

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE555.COM)
	<http://www.live555.com/>