[Live-devel] Live555 capabilities

Danny Brown danbrwn at gmail.com
Thu May 4 08:30:41 PDT 2006

I need to create a video conference app on win32. These will be peer to peer
unicast connections. I need to be able to grab video from a camera, audio
from soundcard and combine the two for streaming using hopefully MPEG4
encapsulation and sending over UDP or TCP over a local network. The
receiving (both will be sending and receiving at the same time) pc will then
decode the MPEG4 packets and play the video and audio in real time (minus
whatever delays acceptable to the protocol). I would like to be able to
direct the video to a specific window or possibly script it with Javascript
for an IE6 window. Lots of the nomenclature used above may not be right,
they reflect how I believe all this fits together, so if they are wrong;
Please don't waste a lot of time explaining the difference between UDP and
TCP or MPEG4 intracacies as these are details that can be worked out later.
I really don't need something as complex as a lot of the applications which
have been built using live555 media libs, I think what I asked for here will
be simple to implement. I just want to know if the live555 libs are capable
of these things. Dan