[Live-devel] adaptive streaming

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun May 7 06:17:38 PDT 2006

>   I'm currently trying to feed livecaster using a fifo in linux.  After a
>few hours the audio latency begins to increase.  I can resolve this by
>cat'ing the data from the fifo to /dev/null.  It seems data is building up
>in the fifo.  I'm guessing that this is because of the way livecaster gets
>the data in blocks at a set frequecy?
>
>   Is there any thing i could modify on the generating progams config to
>help this?

Not that I'm aware of - because liveCaster is streaming its MP3 data
at the proper rate - as indicated by the headers in the MP3
frames.  It appears, though, that your audio source and/or encoder is
generating frames at a slightly higher rate - perhaps because it is
using a slightly faster clock??

>   Can I get the source to live caster if I buy a license?

No, because liveCaster uses a customized scripting language library
that we have not released (and have no plans to, because it's a
hack).  However, the "testMP3Streamer" demo application (released wth
the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" source code) has essentially the same
functionality (and essentially the same internal implementation) as
"lc" (the GUI-less version of liveCaster).

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE555.COM)
	<http://www.live555.com/>