[Live-devel] adaptive streaming

barounis at ceid.upatras.gr barounis at ceid.upatras.gr
Wed May 17 07:15:40 PDT 2006

Hi,

i 've been trying to implement in the testOnDemandRTSPServer the "adaptive
streaming" option.

Let say i have the same video in two different files with bitrates 150 and
300Kbps respectively.

By receiving RTCP reports from a mobile client i make a calculation about the
the upper bound of the transmission rate

So the stream starts with the video file (300Kbps) and after a while, because of
packet loss, the server has to switch into the 150Kbps file.

The functions that have to be implemented are something like
 1) position calculation of the current video
 2) stop
 3) open new file
 4) seek for the respective position in the new video file
 5) play

Could you please tell me if the plan is correct and give me some adice about how
i can implement the first step?
The video files are MPEG-1 Elementary Stream

Thank you very much
Best regards