[Live-devel] Single stepping RTSP server

Peter von Kaenel pvonkaenel at pvi.tv
Thu May 25 06:12:25 PDT 2006

> >I'm interested in streaming video in a slightly non-standard way: I
> >want to control the playback rate from the server, ignoring the
> >frame rate as defined in the media file.  Could you please give me
> >some pointers as to where in the code I should make
> >modifications?  My guess so far is to create new UsageEnvironment
> >and TaskScheduler classes and use them instead of the
> >BasicUsageEnvironment classes.
>
> I doubt you would need to do that, but without knowing more about
> exactly what you're trying to do, it's hard to say for sure.  Are you
> talking about supporting 'trick play' - e.g., so that the stream
> appears, to the client, to be N times as fast (i.e., the RTSP "scale"
> header)?  Or are you talking about actually changing the rate that
> bits get sent, without necessarily changing the stream's appearance,
> as seen by clients (i.e., the RTSP "speed" header)?  Or something
else?

> 	Ross Finlayson
> 	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE555.COM)
> 	<http://www.live555.com/>

I have a bunch of AVI files and am starting to collect m2t files
containing video that I want to analyze in a simulation environment.  I
would like to be able to tell the server when to send the next frame so
that I have time to verify the analysis on a frame-by-frame basis on the
client side.  Basically, I would like to have a trigger within
BasicTaskScheduler0::doEventLoop() that blocks the call to SingleStep()
until I'm ready to send the next frame.  But looking inside of
SingleStep() it looks like it will try to handle overtiming (is this
correct?) along with client TCP based requests.  I guess I need to
separate the message handling from the frame transmission, and make sure
that the frames can be sent at a variable rate.

Thanks,
Peter