[Live-devel] FramedSource vs. FramedFilter

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Nov 1 11:05:00 PST 2006

>Can you tell me if there are guidelines about when I should inherit from
>FramedFilter vs. FramedSource?

A "FramedFilter" must
	1/ be a "FramedSource" - i.e., an object that produces a
single output stream (by implementing "doGetNextFrame()"), and
	2/ process data that comes from a second "FramedSource" (the
"inputSource" parameter)

>When I look at
>MPEG2TransportStreamMultiplexor, I think it should be inherited from
>FramedFilter because it changes the data that passes through it.

No, "MPEG2TransportStreamMultiplexor" is a "FramedSource", but not a
"FramedFilter", because it doesn't have a *single* input source.
(Instead, it can have multiple input sources, which are added using
member functions, rather than as parameters during the object's
creation.)