[Live-devel] Problems with receiving reports on sender side

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Nov 15 11:08:42 PST 2006

>  > Without knowing more about your application, it's difficult to say.
>>  Note that if you run one of the demo server applications (e.g.,
>>  "testOnDemandRTSPServer" or "test*Streamer"), it should be receiving
>>  RTCP "Reception Report" (RR) packets from clients (and thus updating
>>  stats) just fine.  So you may wish to use these as a starting point.
>>

>thanks for your answer. As you suggested I started with testMP3Streamer.
>I added these to functions just above main() in testMP3Streamer:
>
>   void handleRR(void* clientData) {
>     std::cerr << "Received ReceiverReport" << std::endl;
>    }
>
>   void handleSR(void* clientData) {
>     std::cerr << "Received SenderReport" << std::endl;
>    }
>
>and after sessionState.rtcpInstance = RTCPInstance::createNew(...) I added:
>
>sessionState.rtcpInstance->setRRHandler(handleRR,sessionState.sink);
>sessionState.rtcpInstance->setSRHandler(handleSR,sessionState.sink);

Another thing you could do is add
#define DEBUG 1
to the start of "RTCP.cpp", and recompile.  This will tell you if you
receive any RTCP (RR) reports.

>If I start the streamer and use vlc for playback, I hear the music, but
>I don't get any output from the handle*() methods. Did I use them
>incorrectly or what is the problem here?

I don't know - it's possible that VLC is the problem, and that (for
some reason) it's not sending RTCP reports.  Alternatively, you could
try running the "testMP3Receiver" demo application, which should send
RTCP reports OK.