[Live-devel] Problem with FramedSource and TaskScheduler

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Nov 29 13:59:29 PST 2006

>Could someone enlighten me on this ?
>do I have to provide a FD interface to my FramedSource to notify that a
>new frame is ready ot something like that ?
>Do I have ro implement an other kind of Scheduler ?
>I am really confused on this and I have problem seeing the big picture
>of all this.

The "big picture" is that your input device must generate 'events'
that are seen and handled by the event loop.

The easiest way to do this - which does not require changing the
pre-supplied event loop implementation "BasicTaskScheduler" - is to
treat your input device as an open file in the operating system's
file system.  For most sensible operating systems (not Windows),
input devices are already files - so, for example, you could use the
existing " testMPEG1or2VideoStreamer" test program by just replacing
"test.mpg" with the name of your device file (or "stdin" if you are
using a pipe).

If your input device is not an open file, then you must either use
polling using "scheduleDelayedTask" (which adds latency), or else
write a new event loop (a new subclass of "TaskScheduler") that
recognizes your device's input frames as events.