[Live-devel] RTSP Redirect

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Nov 29 14:16:23 PST 2006

>I have a similar RTSP complexity.  My application RTSP client connects to
>an RTSP Server on an embedded device.  The device can receive a multicast
>TS and decode MPEG video/audio for analog output to monitor and speakers.

Then why is your device a RTSP *server*??  The whole point of RTSP is
that the server is the entity that has the media that is to be
delivered.  Your device doesn't have the media - it *receives* the
media.

If your device receives and decodes multicast TS/RTP packets, but is
not actually in charge of controlling playback, then there is no need
for it to be involved in RTSP at all.  Instead, just have your
separate RTSP client ask to play the stream, from the real RTSP
server.  The server (assuming that the stream is multicast) will then
multicast the stream.  All your client then has to do is tell your
device the multicast address and port of the incoming multicast
stream.

Either that, or put the RTSP client functionality on your embedded
device rather than keeping it separate...