[Live-devel] RTSP Redirect

xcsmith at rockwellcollins.com xcsmith at rockwellcollins.com
Wed Nov 29 15:57:34 PST 2006

> Then why is your device a RTSP *server*??

Because the device can also multicast a TS encoded from video camera and
microphone.  Therefore the device already has to implement an RTSP server,
and the powers-that-be did not want to implement another method for
controlling the decoding. Really, i argue this a lot. :)

> Either that, or put the RTSP client functionality on your embedded
device rather than keeping it separate...

The device also has a client, so when my software client connects to the
device server, the device client connects to the storage server. But the
curiosity was: How should the device learn the location of the storage
server? Maybe the answer is just that RTSP is not designed that way.  Or as
you say, the right way to do that is to have the original client connect to
the storage server and then send proprietary message to the device.  But
that is one reason why I ask you.  I mention this curiosity because it
seemed related to your suggestion of having a proxy server "seamlessly"
connect real RTSP server and RTSP client together by having the proxy with
its own client also.

~Medra