[Live-devel] RTSP: is random access possible on the server side?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Oct 2 11:07:53 PDT 2006

>Is that possible ?

In principle, yes.  However, server support for this kind of thing is
(necessarily) media type dependent.  See
<http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2005-March/002086.html>

>  Using VLC, there is a -start-time option that can
>be provided at the creation of the RTSP stream, however, this is very
>buggy

It shouldn't be.  Specifying a start time in the RTSP "PLAY" command
is a well-established part of the protocol, and VLC's RTSP client
implementation supports this, I believe.  However, it's up to the
server to decide if and how to implement this.  As I noted in the
link above, it works for some media types only.