[Live-devel] RTSP: is random access possible on the server side?

egf05 at doc.ic.ac.uk egf05 at doc.ic.ac.uk
Mon Oct 2 11:27:08 PDT 2006

Quoting Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com>:

>> Using VLC, there is a -start-time option that can be provided at
>> the creation of the RTSP stream, however, this is very buggy
>
> It shouldn't be.  Specifying a start time in the RTSP "PLAY" command is
> a well-established part of the protocol, and VLC's RTSP client
> implementation supports this, I believe.  However, it's up to the
> server to decide if and how to implement this.  As I noted in the link
> above, it works for some media types only.

Thank you very much for these infos.

Actually, since I want the user to be able to start video at a
specific time, by clicking on a single HTTP link (without using
javascript) this should be implemented on the server side, as I cannot
pass options to a client in a link (and I don't want to be client
specific too). This should be entirely transparen to the user.

Do you see any other way than having several RTSP/VoD objects for the
same file, each one starting at the different times? Maybe in that
case I should work on the VLC server code to add better support for
the start time (which is certainly a harder work)?

Regards,
Eric